Friday, December 28, 2007

Rescue a blackbird?

I got a phone call one afternoon from one of my firefighters, "Call Frankie at the emergency room. She said something about rescuing a bird". I waited til I heard our ambulance notify dispatch that they were out at the hospital, gave them a few minutes and then called.

The nature of this rescue had me intrigued so when she said a "blackbird" the picture in my mind was quite different from what I found upon arrival. Blackbird? Its a crow! Why am I about to climb a tree to rescue a crow?

It seems that this bird had been stuck on this limb for hours now, right outside the second story window of a residence. The children there as well as the grandparents were now quite concerned for the welfare of this creature. More curious to me was how does a crow get stuck on a limb?

The climb up this tree was very interesting. My ladder, which always seems to be too short, was now secured but the crow was far above me. After several attempts I was able to get the rope up and over the correct limb. Feeling a bit like a spider climbing it's thread I finally reached the crow. His pals were gathered in the surrounding trees making quite a racket as I got closer. At last the answer to my question, his leg was broken and had caught in the dense mesh of limbs. In a moment he was free and glided off to the yard next door.

The grateful caller asked what he could do for the bird. "Nothing", I replied. "Nature will take care of its own. It wont be the first one legged bird I've seen". Ladder and rope back on my truck, I drove home shaking my head. Rescue a crow? Well there's a first time for everything.

Rescue Dog

No comments: