Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The logger's life: Part 1

I avoided this industry for thirty years but since I began in April 2007 there is a whole new appreciation for this kind of work. Yes, sometimes the weather is quite foreboding but the Oregon coast range is the perfect nursery for growing trees. Even a rainy day can be a thing of beauty.

As a photographer I have captured many a wondrous scene in one of God's most awesome creations, a forest. Now that I work in that same forest on a daily basis I have captured many more images that are nothing short of stunning. Of course it might also be because this is the happiest I have ever been in my working career.

At the age of ten I began working with wood and have become quite well known for the many things I create in my workshop. Thus working as a logger seems quite natural. The crew finds unique pieces of wood on occasion that I take home to work on. Walking sticks, slabs for woodturning or carving and odd shaped pieces that end up as yard art are amongst the many things I have done since last April.

My job is chaser on the landing. Perfect! My many talents are put to their best use in this position. My main job is to unhook the chokers when the yarder brings them in. But there is much time that I spend waiting for the next turn so I have put that time to good use. Organizing and cleaning the tools comes naturally to me. The crew is quite pleased with this and that makes me happy. What more could one ask for?

The firefighter in me is a big plus as well as I have become very safety conscious after thirty years of service. Tiny details that my boss may feel aren't important are part of my daily routine. One thing I have learned throughout my working career is that the guys doing the work usually know how to do the job more efficiently and safely than the boss ever could. My boss is a great guy but just a bit impatient. Yes, time is money but speed kills. Find the happy medium between these two and stick with it.

I found a sign in a small store a few months ago that says it all for a logger: BETTER TO BE CAREFUL A HUNDRED TIMES THAN TO BE KILLED ONCE. Amen to that!

Keep checking each week to read more about the life of a logger.

Rescue Dog.

No comments: