Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Logger's lament.

As we drove home today the crew was quiet. I didn't know why until my stepson and I were on our way home. The son in law of the boss had died in a logging accident today. He worked for our company for years and left to work for another. Our lead choker setter was best friends with him and this is the second friend he has lost in less than a year.

Logging is dangerous work but it is also quite rewarding. Every day we get to see the glory of God's tree nursery with trees as far as the eye can see. Rain or shine the Oregon coast range is the most beautiful place that one could ask to be. So as I go to work tomorrow I will say a prayer for those affected by the loss of this logger.

Our company has a five year plus safety record and is the safest in the state of Oregon. This loss is a sobering reminder of what could happen to any of us.

Even though I don't know this logger I feel a loss too. As a firefighter with 30 years experience it is easy for me to relate to how people feel when tragedy strikes. My sincerest hope is that nothing as tragic as this should ever occur to our crew. They are my friends and family.

May God watch over us and keep us safe from the perils of our job.

Rescue Dog.

No comments: