Friday, January 4, 2008

Flash,KABOOM!

Winter is definitely here. Rain, rain and more rain along with the southwest winds. Happy new year? A wet one for sure and driving becomes a bit more hazardous. A trip to the store can become an adventure. I'm glad that it is only a one mile trip for me.

Just as I was about to leave the store there was a flash, followed in a second by some very loud thunder. A gentleman who was standing just outside the door remarked that it was very close as it had set off car alarms. I dashed for my truck knowing that in a moment it would be raining severely.

As I pulled out onto the highway it began to pour. Then the hail began to fall. Harder, bigger and soon the road looked like a sea of marbles, bouncing back up into the air as they struck until the road seemed to disappear. I slowed to twenty miles per hour, searching for the fog line or edge markers. Only a quarter of a mile left til my driveway, street lights now guiding my way. As I turned up my driveway it sounded like marbles bouncing off the side of my pickup, the ground rapidly turning white.

Now into my parking space, I get a firm hold on the groceries and make a mad dash for the door. Safe! As I look back out at the deck and rock wall, the size of the hail seems to increase. A large stone lands within inches of the door and I grab it to check the size. Wow! No wonder I was having trouble seeing the road on the way home. The size of a marble easily and a lot of them.

Thankfully those traveling through my little town have managed to keep their vehicles on the highway in this nasty weather. I am always ready to respond to any emergency but am always grateful when I can stay inside, my cat in my lap and just listen to the storm.

Rescue Dog

No comments: